Thursday, May 26, 2011

Is there a Mr. Microwave in the house?

We went to a fantastic restaurant for lunch today.  I took a to-go box back to the hotel hoping I could heat it up somewhere for dinner.  I went to the front desk around dinnertime and asked them, "Is there a microwave in the hotel that I could use?"  They didn't really understand me, so I asked again if there was a microwave in the hotel.  I tried to explain that it takes cold food and makes it hot.  But at this point, they'd already started to type on their computer.  I told Brian they must have a translation program on their computers.  The attendant called someone and said a bunch of stuff in Chinese.  Then she handed me the phone.  The lady on the other end said in very broken English, "Excuse me, could you please spell microwave?"  I spelled it for her.  She repeated the letters back to me and I confirmed they were correct.  Then she said, "I'm sorry, I can't find a guest with the name microwave."  Brian and I very quickly said thank you and left before they could see us laughing our heads off!  Definitely the funniest 'lost in translation' moment we've had yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment